- Gardening Year: 2012
- Location: Niagara Falls, NY
- Planting by Color: Yellow
Hi I am Jessica, I technically am from Niagara Falls NY, but figured my info could help anyone in WNY.
So the garden…this is our 5th year (I think) gardening in our current space. We are lucky to have our home on an oversized lot, it is very large by most city standards, but this allows us a large garden.
We started out with a 25 ft x 30 ft plot, we tilled and planted directly in the ground for the first couple of years. This is our 3rd year using boxes my dad built (my parents are our neighbors and we share the garden) 5 boxes were built originally, but for the last 2 years we have only used 4 of them. This year I have planned to use all 5. This is also the first year I have made a plan, In previous years we planted whatever we had and where ever we felt like sticking it.
Using this site and Mel’s book, I have a decent plan ready.
I am kind of at the mercy of the local nurseries as far as plants (1st year at new job and didn’t get seeds planted) I have a pretty good idea of what they will have available, but I don’t really know the varieties of tomatoes, or beans. I have never planted seeds directly in the ground but I am going to try carrots, radish and beets from seed. We have a short growing season so I think I am too late for corn.
My challenges…We have a large tree that shades one of the boxes for a good part of the day. The box gets about 2 hours of morning sun and about 4 hours of late afternoon sun, I have empty spaces, but I also don’t want to spend a fortune just to fill the boxes.
So my questions are:
- Will the items I have planned for the shady box be okay? I thought I researched enough to know that what I have planned will be okay with some shade.
- Do I have enough space for things? I plan to cage my tomatoes, and stake my zucchini and yellow squash.
- What to do with empty spaces? I probably could plant some lettuce seeds and/or more carrots, beet, and radish seeds a few weeks after I plant the others.
- I have never planted onions before any tips?